Each spring, Friends of Ecological and Environmental Learning (FEEL) is pleased to offer high quality native and eco-friendly plants (trees, shrubs, vines, flowers, groundcovers, grasses, heirloom plants) for sale to landowners and community organizations.
WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THIS PLANT SALE?
- A Fundraiser - between 5% and 30% of each sale goes directly to support FEEL (Friends of Environmental and Ecological Learning). This is our annual fundraiser. Please check out our website to learn more about us. Friends of Ecological and Environmental Learning
- Volunteer run - Our plants sale is run by volunteers!
- Educational - We have highly knowledgable volunteers - Ecologists and Botanists - who are delighted to answer questions or share information about your plants on pick up day!
- Customer Service driven - If you have questions prior to order or pick up, call or email us and we (for the love of plants!) will be happy to help out.
WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT OUR PLANTS?
- Genetically Local - The majority of our plants are genetically local with plant stock derived directly from Haliburton County. This is an extremely unique characteristic of our plants. The term native can sometimes be applied quiet vaguely. For example, a plant could be native to Canada but sourced from the US - and therefore is genetically native (and adapted to) the locale it came from in the US. A plant can be native to Canada but not native to Ontario; Or - native to Ontario but from a different climate zone and genetic stock than Haliburton County. Our plants that are marked 'source local" are derived from Halburton County seed stock and or cuttings. Plants that are marked "regional" are from this region of Ontario. We strive to source plants that are derived from our local genetics.
- Locally Grown - Our plants are produced and cared for by local businesses. Purchase of our plants supports local businesses.
- Health & Survivability - Our plants are of high quality & healthy thanks to thier genetic stock and care with which they are grown & handled. In addition - by purchasing plants dormant (as ours are in spring), and then promptly planting them- plants have a chance to "wake up" in their new environment (your place) reducing transplant shock. These things contributes to the health and success of your plantings. If you are unsure where or how to plant and/or care for your plants, ask us or check our website under 'Resources'.
HOW ARE THEY SOLD?
Plants are sold on-line, on a first-come first serve basis.
ARE THERE ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS?
Transportation, cold storage and online transaction fees are worked into the price per tree. HST is added at time of purchase.
ANYTHING ELSE I NEED TO KNOW?
Because many of these seedlings are bare root, they need to be planted right away if they are to survive. It is important to have a planting & care plan in place before the pick-up date: Site preparation may be required (soil ammendment, clearing of existing vegetation). A reasonable effort to control competing species around the young plants and provide adequate watering in the event of summer drought conditions will help the plants get established.
HOW CAN I USE MY PLANTS?
...beautify your property, start a garden, shade a patio, start a trellis, create wildlife habitat, enjoy wild edibles, naturalize a shoreline, reforest an open area, create diversity, control erosion and watch butterflies and other pollinators are just an example of the many uses of the plants we sell.
OTHER SALE DETAILS
All orders must be paid in full at the time of purchase.
All sales are final. No refunds.
All plants are subject to 13% HST.
Customers unabable to get plants on the designated pick-up date must make arrangements to pick up plants within two (2) weeks or forfeit their purchase.
All plants subject to availability from suppliers. If plants are unavailable, we will do our best to substitute appropriate plants.